The Differences in Stress Levels of Male and Female Nurses at Hospitals
A study conducted by Northwestern National Life stated that around 40% of workers experienced work-related stress. One of the professions who has a high risk of stress is nursing. This research aims to analyze the differences in stress levels of male and female nurses, employing a quantitative method and a cross sectional approach. There were 73 respondents, all of whom were nurses at X Hospital. Random sampling was used in this research. Chi Square test was carried out to determine the relationship between gender and work stress levels. The results showed that the majority of nurses were women (78.1% or 57 people) and male nurses accounted for the remaining 21.9% (16 people). A higher number of female nurses experience high stress (15.8%) compared to male nurses (12.5%). The result of the analysis of the gender effect on stress levels in X Hospital nurses generated p-value of 0.745 indicating that p value > 0.05. This result shows that there is no significant effect of gender on the stress level of nurses in Hospital X. Accordingly, from the hypothesis tested, it is proven that there is no significant relationship between the gender of nurses and work stress experienced.
Keywords: Stress Level, Nurse, Hospital
 Safarpour H. et al (2018). A Study on the Occupational Stress, Job Satisfaction and Job Performance among Hospital Nurses in Ilam, Iran. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. Vol. 12, issue 6, pp.1-5.
 Gyllensten, K. and Palmer, S. (2005). The role of gender in workplace stress: A critical literature review. Health Education Journal, vol. 64, issue 3, pp. 271 – 288.
 Kurniawidjaja, M. (2012). Teori dan Aplikasi Kesehatan Kerja. Depok: UI Press , pp. 89-91.
 Mallyya, A., Rachmadi, F. and Hafizah, R. (2016). Perbedaan Stres Kerja Antara Perawat Instalasi Gawat Darurat (IGD) dan Perawat Intensive Care Unit (ICU) RSUD Sultan Syarif Mohamad Alkadrie Kota Pontianak. Proners, vol 3, issue 1, 13-19.
 Mas’udi. M. F. (2002). Islam and Womens Reproductive Rights. Malaysia: Sister in Sister.
 National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (2014). Stress at Work. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ docs/99-101/default.html. (Sitasi 25 September 2019).
 Rivera, P., Montero-Simó, P. and Araque-Padilla, R.A. (2013). Job Stress Across Gender: The Importance of Emotional and Intellectual Demands and Social Support in Women. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 10, issue 1, pp. 375-89.
 Soep , (2012). Stres Kerja Perawat Berdasarkan Karakteristik Organisasi Di Rumah Sakit. Jurnal Keperawatan Indonesia, vol. 15, issue 1, pp. 67-74
 Universitair Medische Centra, (2018). Statistics on Occupational Diseases 2018. https://www. occupationaldiseases.nl/content/statistics-occupational-diseases-2018. (sitasi 10 Februari 2019)