Virtual Mathematics Laboratory Based on Cognitive Load Theory
Teachers need high levels of creativity and innovation to deliver subject matter during this period of digital learning. Literacy and numeracy skills are top priorities in schools, and mathematics is very relevant for the acceleration of literacy and numeracy development. The goal of this study was to develop a virtual math lab based on the cognitive load theory to improve literacy skills. The ADDIE development model was used, consisting of the stages of analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation. Data were obtained on the needs for a complete mathematical learning medium that would be accessible and fun. The virtual design was carried out using the Drag and Drop app builder software. In the next stage, a virtual lab design framework was implemented with this app builder. The validation results showed that 80% of the math teaching materials were in accordance with the school’s math curriculum; 80% of the virtual math lab design was categorized as dynamic, and the remaining 20% was identified as needing synchronization between the videos displayed and the level of attractiveness and interactivity of the lab. According to the results, the modules and virtual laboratory that were developed are valid and suitable for use.
Keywords: virtual mathematics lab, cognitive load theory, literacy
 Gunawan G, Harjono A, Sahidu H, Herayanti L. Virtual laboratory to improve students’ problem-solving skills on electricity concept. Jurnal Pendidikan IPA Indonesia. 2017;6(2):257-64.
 Widowati A, Nurohman S, Setyowarno D. Development of inquiry-based science virtual laboratory for improving student thinking skill of junior high school. Jurnal Pendidikan Matematika dan Sains. 2017;4(2):170-7.
 Ismail I, Permanasari A, Setiawan W. Efektivitas virtual lab berbasis STEM dalam meningkatkan literasi sains siswa dengan perbedaan gender. Jurnal Inovasi Pendidikan IPA. 2016;2(2):190-201.
 Nuryadi N. Pengembangan media matematika virtual berbasis teams game tournament ditinjau dari kemampuan pemecahan masalah. JIPM ( Jurnal Ilmiah Pendidikan Matematika). 2019;7(2):114-23.
 Nf. Manikowati and D. Iskandar, “PENGEMBANGAN MODEL MOBILE VIRTUAL LABORATORIUM UNTUK PEMBELAJARAN PRAKTIKUM SISWA SMA.,” Jurnal Kwangsan. vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 23–42, 2018..
 Wahyu Y, Suastra IW, Sadia IW, Suarni NK. The effectiveness of mobile augmented reality assisted stem-based learning on scientific literacy and students’ achievement. International Journal of Instruction. 2020;13(3):343-56.
 Sudiana R. Progate platform as a virtual laboratory of web-based programming. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Pendidikan FKIP. 2020;3(1):277-282.
 Sartika SB, Efendi N, Rocmah LI. Pelatihan penggunaan laboratorium virtual bagi guru ipa dan matematika di SMP sepuluh nopember sidoarjo. Dedication: Jurnal Pengabdian Masyarakat. 2020;4(2):201-8.
 Putri LA, Permanasari A, Winarno N, Ahmad NJ. Enhancing students’ scientific literacy using virtual lab activity with inquiry-based learning. Journal of Science Learning. 2021;4(2):173-84.
 Agustian G. Pengembangan media pembelajaran matematika dalam materi bangun datar sekolah dasar menggunakan model addie berbasis kearifan lokal masyarakat baduy [Doctoral dissertation]. Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia; Bandung; 2021.
 Ulum MK, Ysh AS. Keefektifan model pembelajaran ADDIE terhadap Hasil Belajar Matematika. Jurnal Penelitian dan Pengembangan Pendidikan. 2020;4(1):98-106.