Strategy for Sustainable Development and Utilization of Sheep and Goat Resources in Serbia


The aims of this study were to determine the status of small ruminant production in Serbia and to provide projections for their sustainable use with optimal strategy of genetic improvement of sheep and goats in the future. For sustainable sheep and goat production, it is necessary to know a number of biological, technological, organizational and market factors. Number of sheep in Serbia during the past two decades fell by about 20%.  This  country grows more than 1.7 million sheep. In terms of breed structures, most of the populations are indigenous Pramenka sheep (80%), while the remaining 20% are Tsigai, Merinolandschaf, Ile de France, Pirot improved, Mis sheep, and other less important populations, as well as the crossbreed with foreign and domestic sheep. Interest of goat rearing is constantly increasing in last years for 20-30%.  In regard to the breed structure, the least represented are goats of Alpine breed – approx. 2- 3%, White Serbian goat - 15%, different types of crosses – approx. 35% same as goats of low land Balkan type, and approx. 12% of high land Balkan type. Strategy of sheep and goat breeding programs in Serbia is focused on the improvement of indigenous breeds, because they are less demanding, and most importantly, the input is lower and their products have higher quality.


Keywords: sheep; goat; sustainable; resources; meat; milk

[1] Fritz (2008): Sustainability in food networks. 48th Annual Conference, Bonn, Germany, September 24-26.

[2] Timon, V. M. 1993. Strategies for sustainable animal AnGRiculture - an FAO perspective. pp. 7-22 in (S. Mack, ed.) Strategies for sustainable animal AnGRiculture in developing countries. FAO Animal production and health paper 107.

[3] Serradilla J.M. (2002): New techniques for sustainable sheep and goat production. Course material. Tunis, 12, 9-20.

[4] Wells A., Gegner L., Earles R. (2000): Sustainable sheep production. Attra Publication IP-102.

[5] Mason J. (2003): Sustainable Agriculture. Landlinks Press. 208 p.

[6] Petrovic P.M, Caro Petrovic V, Ilic Z.Z, Ruzic Muslic D, Grcak D, Milenkovic M, Milosevic B (2013): Features of the new breed of sheep in Serbia called Mis sheep 1. reproductive characteristics and body development. Veterinarija ir Zootechnika.64(86), 70-75.

[7] Petrovic, P.M. (2007): Sustainable sheep breeding. Institute for Animal Husbandry, Belgrade. 256 pp.

[8] Petrovic P.M (2000): Genetic and improvement of sheep. Sci. Book. Belgrade 365pp.

[9] Notter D.R. (2001): Genetic evaluation systems and the U.S. sheep industry. The Shepherd, 46, 12, 18-19.

[10] Snowder G.D. (2002): Composite trait selection for improving lamb production. Sheep Goat Res. J., 17, 42-48.

[11] Hanford K.J., Van Vleck L.D., Snowder G.D. (2005): Estimates of genetic parameters and genetic change for reproduction, weight, and wool characteristics of Rambouillet sheep. Small Rumin.Res., 57, 175-186.

[12] Ugarte E. (2007): The breeding program of Latxa breed. Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry, 5-6, 97-111.

[13] Teneva A., Petrovic P.M. (2010): Application of molecular markers in livestock improvement. Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry, 26, 3-4, 135-154.

[14] Petrovic P.M, Ilic Z.Z, Caro Petrovic V, (2013): Sheep an goat breeding –Biology and technick of small ruminant breeding. Institute of Animal Husbandry, Belgrade, Faculty of agriculture, Lesak, Serbia. 520pp.

[15] De Vries F., Hamann H., Distl O. (2004): Estimation of genetic parameters in German meat and milk sheep breeds. Züchtungskunde, 76, 2, 117-126.

[16] Safari E., Fogarty N.M., Gilmore A.R. (2005): A Review of genetic parameter estimates for wool, growth, meat and production traits in sheep. Livestock Production Science, 92, 271-289.

[17] Petrovic,.P.M, Ružic-Muslic, D., Aleksic, S., Maksimovic, N. (2010): Investigation of production traits of the most important sheep breeds in Serbia. Journal of Mountain Agriculture on the Balkans 13(2): 356-366.

[18] Memiş N. (2000): Quantitative analysis of body development and production traits of domestic Balkan goat. Doctoral dissertation, Faculty of Agriculture, BelgradeZemun.

[19] Darcy J.B (1995): Sheep Management and Wool Technology. UNSW Press.

[20] Petrović P.M, Caro Petrović V, Ružic Muslić D, Maksimović N, Petrović M.M. Ilić Z,.Stojkovic J (2015): Effect of genetic and environmental factors on the phenotype characteristicsof lambs. Biotechnology in Animal Husbandry 3, 223-233.

[21] Petrovic P.M (1992): Investigation of reproductive and productive characteristics of Wirttemberg breed of sheep. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Belgrade. Faculty of Agriculture, Belgrade.

[22] Caro Petrović V. (2014): Effect of genotype and sheep crossing system on neonatal development quantity and quality of lambs meat. University of Pristina. Faculty of Agriculture, Lesak.