Intraoperative Optical Coherence Tomography-Guided Bleb-sparing Epithelial Exchange: A Modified Approach
With the advent of newer technologies, real-time anterior segment optical coherence tomography (OCT) integrated with the operating microscope has become possible. We are proposing the technique of bleb revision with greater precision under direct visualization of bleb anatomy and extent of tissue depth allowing better localization and easy maneuvering with lesser complications. In this surgical technique, bleb revision was performed using intraoperative real-time OCT incorporated in OPMI LUMERA 700 microscope. Live surgical and OCT view were seen on a common screen together. A moderately elevated, diffuse functional bleb was noted after three months of bleb revision in both cases with controlled intraocular pressure. Intraoperative OCT-guided bleb-sparing epithelial exchange is an adjunctive technique for bleb repair surgery with an increased precision of surgery which can reduce complications, minimize surgical time and maximize surgical outcome.
1. Khaw PT, Chiang M, Shah P, Sii F, Lockwood A, Khalili A. Enhanced trabeculectomy – the Moorfields Safer Surgery System. Dev Ophthalmol 2012;50:1–28.
2. Singh K, Mehta K, Shaikh NM, Tsai JC, Moster MR, Budenz DL, et al. Trabeculectomy with intraoperative mitomycin C versus 5-fluorouracil. Prospective randomized clinical trial. Ophthalmology 2000;107:2305–2309.
3. Kumar RS, Jariwala MU, Venugopal JP, Puttaiah NK, Balu R, Shetty R, et al. A pilot study on feasibility and effectiveness of intraoperative spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in glaucoma procedures. Transl Vis Sci Technol 2015;4:2.
4. Ehlers JP, Dupps WJ, Kaiser PK, Goshe J, Singh RP, Petkovsek D, et al. The prospective intraoperative and perioperative ophthalmic imaging with optical coherence tomography (PIONEER) Study: 2-year results. Am J Ophthalmol 2014;158:999–1007.
5. Pazos M, Dyrda A, Antón A. Bleb revision for resolution of hypotony maculopathy following primary trabeculectomy. Am J Ophthalmol 2015;159:410.
6. Lin AP, Chung JE, Zhang KS, Chang MM, Orengo-Nania S, Gross RL, et al. Outcomes of surgical bleb revision for late-onset bleb leaks after trabeculectomy. J Glaucoma 2013;22:21–25.
7. Burnstein AL, WuDunn D, Knotts SL, Catoira Y, Cantor LB. Conjunctival advancement versus nonincisional treatment for late-onset glaucoma filtering bleb leaks. Ophthalmology 2002;109:71–75.
8. Sihota R, Angmo D, Sen S, Gupta V, Dada T, Pandey RM. The long-term outcome of primary “Bleb-sparing, Epithelial Exchange” in dysfunctional filtering blebs. J Glaucoma 2016;25:571–578.
9. Dada T, Midha N, Shah P, Sidhu T, Angmo D, Sihota R. Innovations in glaucoma surgery from Dr. Rajendra prasad centre for ophthalmic sciences. Indian J Ophthalmol 2017;65:103–108.
10. Dada T, Angmo D, Midha N, Sidhu T. Intraoperative optical coherence tomography guided bleb needling. J Ophthalmic Vis Res 2016;11:452–454.
11. Titiyal JS, Kaur M, Falera R. Intraoperative optical coherence tomography in anterior segment surgeries. Indian J Ophthalmol 2017;65:116–121.
12. Sihota R, Dada T, Gupta SD, Sharma S, Arora R, Agarwal HC. Conjunctival dysfunction and MMC induced hypotony. J Glaucoma 2000;9:392–397.
13. Sihota R, Selvan H, Sidhu T, Kamble N, Angmo D, Yadav S, et al. Clinical and ASOCT evaluations of ’bleb-sparing epithelial exchange’ in paediatric and adult dysfunctional blebs over 5 years. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2020;258:367–377.