Amniotic Membrane Patch Graft in Management of Double Chamber after Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty
Purpose: To describe a novel technique of amniotic membrane (AM) patch graft in the management of double chamber treatment after big-bubble deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty (DALK).
Case Report: A 35-year-old male patient with advanced keratoconus underwent bigbubble DALK. Manual lamellar dissection was done due to failed big-bubble. First-day postoperative double chamber was detected. Air bubbling and SF6 injection were tried without any success. Double chamber resolved by fixation of AM transplantation patch graft (1 × 1 mm) over the Descemet’s membrane perforation with fibrin glue.
Conclusion: Amniotic membrane patch graft can be used in the management of double chamber after DALK not responsive to intracameral gas injection.
Amniotic Membrane, DALK, Descemet Perforation, Double Chamber
1. Borderie VM, Sandali O, Bullet J, Gaujoux T, Touzeau O, Laroche L. Long-term results of deep anterior lamellar versus penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmology 2012;119:249–255.
2. Sugita J, Kondo J. Deep lamellar keratoplasty with complete removal of pathological stroma for vision improvement. Br J Ophthalmol 1997;81:184–188.
3. Passani A, Sframeli AT, Loiudice P, Nardi M. Late spontaneous resolution of a double anterior chamber post deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty. Saudi J Ophthalmol 2017;31:58–60.
4. Iradier MT, Moreno E, Aranguez C, Cuevas J, García Feijoo J, Garcia Sanchez J. Late spontaneous resolution of a massive detachment of Descemet’s membrane after phacoemulsification. J Cataract Refract Surg 2002;28:1071–1073.
5. Chow VW, Agarwal T, Vajpayee RB, Jhanji V. Update on diagnosis and management of Descemet’s membrane detachment. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2013;24:356–361.
6. Assia EI, Levkovich-Verbin H, Blumenthal M. Management of Descemet’s membrane detachment. J Cataract Refract Surg 1995;21:714–717.
7. Kumar H, Ali MS, Mishra D. Management of Descemet’s membrane detachment by intra cameral air injection. Ann Int Med Den Res 2016;2:OT01–OT04.
8. Clare G, Suleman H, Bunce C, Dua H. Amniotic membrane transplantation for acute ocular burns. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012;9:CD009379.
9. Rahman I, Said DG, Maharajan VS, Dua HS. Amniotic membrane in ophthalmology: indication and limitations. Eye 2009;23:1954–1961.
10. Maurino V, Allan BD, Stevens JD, Tuft SJ. Fixed dilated pupil (Urrets-Zavalia syndrome) after air/gas injection after deep lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus. Am J Ophthalmol 2002;133:266–268.
11. Anwar HM, El-Danasoury A, Hashem AN. The use of fibrin glue to seal Descemet membrane microperforations occurring during deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty. Cornea 2012;31:1193–1196.
12. Ghaffari R, Ghassemi H, Latifi G, Jabbarvand M, Zamzam A, Hashemi H. Stromal Patch with fibrin glue as a novel surgical technique to seal peripheral Descemet’s membrane perforations in deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty. Int Ophthalmol 2019;39:2275–2282.