Metastatic Intraocular Tumor Due to Colorectal Adenocarcinoma: Case Report and Literature Review
Purpose: To describe the clinical and histopathological findings of a case of intraocular metastasis due to colorectal adenocarcinoma and to carry out a literature review.
Case Report: A 64-year-old man with a history of tumor resection due to infiltrating colorectal adenocarcinoma three years previously sought ophthalmological care because of severe ocular pain without response to medical treatment and progressive vision loss in the left eye. On ultrasonographic examination, there was a heterogeneous intraocular choroidal tumor, which occupied approximately 40% of the vitreous cavity, as well as peritumoral serous retinal detachment. The patient underwent left eyeball enucleation. The histopathological diagnosis was metastatic tubular adenocarcinoma involving the retina and choroid that partially infiltrated the sclera and the proximal optic nerve.
Conclusion: The present case highlights a rare pathological entity associated with variable therapeutic schemes and survival times and poor prognosis in patients with metastatic intraocular tumors due to colorectal adenocarcinoma.
Colorectal Neoplasms, Eye Neoplasms, Neoplasm Metastasis
1. Siegel R, Miller K, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2017. CA Cancer J Clin 2017;67:7–30.
2. Dirección General de Epidemiología. Análisis de la situación del cáncer en el Perú 2013. Ministerio de Salud [Internet]. Lima: Ashka; 2013 [cited August 28, 2017]. Available from: http://www.dge.gob.pe/portal/docs/ asis_cancer.pdf
3. Hess KR, Varadhachary GR, Taylor SH, Wei W, Raber MN, Lenzi R, et al. Metastatic patterns in adenocarcinoma. Cancer 2006;106:1624–1633.
4. Khawaja M, Minturn J, Spittler A, Chiorean E. Ocular metastasis of colorectal cancer: an uncommon presentation of a common malignancy. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther 2015;8:176–180.
5. Shields CL, Shields JA, Gross NE, Schwartz GP, Lally SE. Survey of 520 eyes with uveal metastases. Ophthalmology 1997;104:1265–1276.
6. Konstantinidis L, Damato B. Intraocular metastases – a review. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol 2017;6:208–214.
7. Cole MD, Farah NB. The choroid – an unusual site for metastasis in patients with adenocarcinoma of the rectum – a case report. Eur J Surg Oncol 1985;11:275–278.
8. Tano S, Hayashi H, Momoeda S. Metastasis of rectal carcinoma to the choroid: a case report. Nihon Ganka Kiyo 1989;40:1284–1288.
9. Endo H, Tajika T, Takebayashi H, Shiota H, Yoshida M, Kudo E. A case report of choroidal metastasis from rectal cancer. Ganka Rinsho Iho 1997;91:1141.
10. Ward SD, Byrne BJ, Kincaid MC, Mann ES. Ultrasonographic evidence of a mushroom-shaped choroidal metastasis. Am J Ophthalmol 2000;130:681– 682.
11. Nakamura H, Harada A, Sakakibara T, Ishikawa T, Yaguchi T, Murakami Y. Metastatic choroidal tumor from cancer of the ascending colon - a case report. J Jpn Surg Assoc 2002;63:1031–1035.
12. Fujiwara T, Machida S, Murai K, Tazawa Y, Baba Y, Shimooki O. A case of choroidal tumor metastasized from rectal cancer. Ganka 2004;46:1099–1103.
13. Linares P, Castanon C, Vivas S, Diz P, Garcia-Palomo A, Llano C, et al. Bilateral choroidal metastasis as the initial manifestation of a rectal cancer. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004;19:726–727.
14. Kuo IC, Haller JA, Maffrand R, Sambuelli RH, Reviglio VE. Regression of a subfoveal choroidal metastasis of colorectal carcinoma after intravitreous bevacizumab treatment. Arch Ophthalmol 2008;126:1311–1313.
15. Sashiyama H, Abe Y, Sasagawa S, Hanada H, Hatori Y, Kubota M, et al. A case of choroidal metastasis from rectal cancer manifesting visual loss as the initial recurrence symptom. Jpn J Gastroenterol Surg 2010;43:746–751.
16. Lin CJ, Li KH, Hwang JF, Chen SN. The effect of intravitreal bevacizumab treatment on choroidal metastasis of colon adenocarcinoma – case report. Eye 2010;24:1102–1103.
17. Neale JA, Valsdottir E, Zeger E, Shields C, Marks J. Cerebral and choroidal metastases with retinal detachment, secondary to rectal cancer: a case report. World J Colorectal Surg 2010;2:1–9.
18. Miyake E, Moriwaki M, Sunada T, Takemura J. Regression of choroidal metastasis from rectal cancer following chemotherapy. Atarashii Ganka 2012;29:701–704.
19. Tei M, Wakasugi M, Akamatsu H. Choroidal metastasis from early rectal cancer: case report and literature review. Int J Surg Case Rep 2014;5:1278–1281.
20. Maudgil A, Sears KS, Rundle PA, Rennie IG, Salvi SM. Failure of intravitreal bevacizumab in the treatment of choroidal metastasis. Eye 2015;29:707–711.
21. Huo SM, An HJ, Lee JE, Eum S, Kim MY, Jang YN, et al. Choroidal metastasis from colon cancer treated with palliative radiotherapy. Korean J Med 2015;89:723–727.
22. Boss JD, Lieu P, Tewari A. Effect of treatment of rectal cancer metastasis with intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) in a patient with subretinal fluid and macular oedema: short-term follow-up. BMJ Case Rep 2016;2016. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-216273
23. Ha JY, Oh EH, Jung MK, Park SE, Kim JT, Hwang IG. Choroidal and skin metastases from colorectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol 2016;22:9650–9653.
24. Kennedy RJ, Rummel WD, McCarthy JL, Hazard JB. Metastatic carcinoma of the retina; report of a case and the pathologic findings. AMA Arch Ophthalmol 1958;60:12–18.
25. Apte RS, Dibernardo C, Pearlman JR, Patel S, Schachat AP, Green WR, et al. Retinal metastasis presenting as a retinal hemorrhage in a patient with adenocarcinoma of the cecum. Arch Ophthalmol 2005;123:850–853.
26. Nookala R, Batchu VV, Lee HM, Loghmani A, Chhabra GS. Difficult diagnosis of colon adenocarcinoma metastasis to retina: a case report and literature review. Int J Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Res 2016;10:186–190.
27. Howard GM. Retinal hole in an eye with choroidal metastasis. Trans Am Acad Ophthalmol Otolaryngol 1968;72:186–190.
28. Hisham RB, Thuaibah H, Gul YA. Mucinous adenocarcinoma of the rectum with breast and ocular metastases. Asian J Surg 2006;29:95–97.
29. Walker CR, Reichstein DA. Bilateral metastases of colorectal cancer to the choroid and optic disc. Int J Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2017;2:65–68.
30. Koylu MT, Gokce G, Uysal Y, Ceylan ML, Akıncıoglu D, Gunal A. Indications for eye removal surgeries. A 15-year experience at a tertiary military hospital. Saudi Med J 2015;36:2015–2019.
31. Kanthan GL, Jayamohan J, Yip D, Conway RM. Management of metastatic carcinoma of the uveal tract: an evidence-based analysis. Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2007;35:553–565.
32. Bayrak R, Haltas H, Yenidunya S. The value of CDX2 and cytokeratins 7 and 20 expression in differentiating colorectal adenocarcinomas from extraintestinal gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas: cytokeratin 7-/20+ phenotype is more specific than CDX2 antibody. Diagn Pathol 2012;7:9.