Suicide and Laser Refractive Surgery
This is a Letter to the Editor and does not have an abstract.
1. Eydelman M, Hilmantel G, Tarver M, Hofmeister E, May J, Hammel K, et al. Symptoms and satisfaction of patients in the patient-reported outcomes with laser in situ keratomileusis (PROWL) studies. JAMA Ophthalmol 2017;135:13–22.
2. van Setten G. Suicide after excimer laser refractive surgery: on the importance of matching expectations. Open J Ophthalmol 2015;5:145–148.
3. W5. Canadian Ophthalmological Society and Canadian Cornea, External Disease and Refactive Surgery Society statement to CTV News and W5. CTV News [Internet]. 2019 April 5 [cited 2019 Oct 14]. Available from: https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/canadian-ophthalmologicalsociety- and-canadian-cornea-external-disease-andrefactive- surgery-society-statement-to-ctv-news-andw5- 1.4368071.
4. Reindl J. Detroit meteorologist Jessica Starr’s death by suicide puts focus on Lasik safety. Detroit Free Press [Internet]. 2018 Dec 18 [cited 2019 Oct 13]. Available from: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/ 12/18/meteorologist-jessica-starr-death-suicide-lasikquestions/ 2346863002/.
5. Puglionesi L. Man commits suicide on Haverford State grounds. Delaware County Times. 2007 July 6.
6. O’Shea S, Leffler B, Willis-Owen G. This week on 16:9 – May 28 – 20/20 hindsight. Global News; 2011 August 5.
7. Favaro A. Painful side-effects from laser eye surgery linked to man’s suicide: family. CTV News [Internet]. 2018 Nov 28 [cited 2019 Oct 13]. Available from: https: //www.ctvnews.ca/health/painful-side-effects-from-lasereye- surgery-linked-to-man-s-suicide-family-1.4196890.
8. LASIKComplications.com. LASIK complications. Are you considering LASIK, ReLEx SMILE? [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2019 Oct 14]. Available from: https://lasikcomplications. com/.
9. Statista. Number of LASIK surgeries in the United States from 1996 to 2019 (in 1,000). [Internet]. 2016 July 18 [cited 2019 Oct 15]. Available from: https://www.statista.com/ statistics/271478/number-of-lasik-surgeries-in-the-us/.
10. United Health Foundation. Sucide in the United States, 2018 summary, America’s health rankings annual report. [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2019 Oct 14]. Available from: https://www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/annual/ measure/Suicide/state/ALL.
11. Bismark M, Gogos A, Clark R, Gruen R, Gawande A, Studdert D. Legal disputes over duties to disclose treatment risks to patients: a review of negligence claims and complaints in Australia. PLoS Med 2012;9:e1001283.
12. Cabral-Macias J, Garcia-De la Rosa G, Rodriguez-Matilde D, Vela-Barrera I, Ledesma-Gil J, Ramirez-Miranda A, et al. Pressure-induced stromal keratopathy after laser in situ keratomileusis: Acute and late-onset presentations. J Cataract Refract Surg 2018;44:1284–1290.
13. Wong J, Lan W, Ong LM, Tong L. Non-hormonal systemic medications and dry eye. Ocul Surf 2011;9:212–226.
14. Awwad S, Alvarez-Chedzoy N, Bowman R, Cavanagh H, McCulley J. Quality of life changes after myopic wavefrontguided laser in situ keratomileusis. Eye Contact Lens 2009;35:128–132.