Intravenous Immunoglobulin for Management of Non-paraneoplastic Autoimmune Retinopathy
Purpose: To report a case of non-paraneoplastic autoimmune retinopathy (npAIR) treated with intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG).
Case report: A 12-year-old boy presented with progressive visual field loss, nyctalopia, and flashing for three months. He had suffered from common cold two weeks before the onset of these symptoms. On the basis of clinical history and paraclinical findings, he was diagnosed with npAIR, and IVIG without immunosuppressive therapy was started. During the one-year follow-up period after the first course of IVIG, flashing disappeared completely. Visual acuity remained 10/10, but nyctalopia did not improve. Multimodal imaging showed no disease progression.
Conclusion: Although established retinal degenerative changes seem irreversible in npAIR, IVIG may be a suitable choice to control the disease progression.
Autoimmune Retinopathy, Intravenous Immunoglobulin, Nyctalopia, Photopsia, Retinal Degeneration
1. Grange L, Dalal M, Nussenblatt RB, Sen HN. Autoimmune retinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol 2014;157:266.e1–272.e1.
2. Grewal DS, Fishman GA, Jampol LM. Autoimmune retinopathy and antiretinal antibodies: a review. Retina 2014;34:1023–1041.
3. Canamary AM, Takahashi WY, Sallum JMF. Autoimmune retinopathy: a review. Int J Retina Vitreous 2018;4:1.
4. Comlekoglu DU, Thompson IA, Sen HN. Autoimmune retinopathy. Curr Opin Ophthalol 2013;24:598–605.
5. Khanna S, Martins A, Oakey Z, Mititelu M. Nonparaneoplastic autoimmune retinopathy: multimodal testing characteristics of 13 cases. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect 2019;9:6.
6. Ferreyra HA, Jayasundera T, Khan NW, He S, Lu Y, Heckenlively JR. Management of autoimmune retinopathies with immunosuppression. Arch Ophthalmol 2009;127:390–397.
7. Fox AR, Gordon LK, Heckenlively JR, Davis JL, Goldstein DA, Lowder CY, et al. Consensus on the diagnosis and management of nonparaneoplastic autoimmune retinopathy using a modified Delphi approach. Am J Ophthalmol 2016;168:183–190.
8. Braithwaite T, Vugler A, Tufail A. Autoimmune retinopathy. Ophthalmologica 2012;228:131–142.
9. Schwab I, Nimmerjahn F. Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy: how does IgG modulate the immune system? Nat Rev Immunol 2013;13:176.
10. Guy J, Aptsiauri N. Treatment of paraneoplastic visual loss with intravenous immunoglobulin: report of 3 cases. Arch Ophthalmol 1999;117:471–477.