Giant Idiopathic Angioid Streaks
Purpose: To present a case of gigantic idiopathic angioid streaks.
Case Report: A young male presented with macular choroidal neovascular membrane (CNVM) and peripheral retinal hemorrhages secondary to angioid streaks. Swept source optical coherence tomography (SSOCT) and ultrawide field imaging were performed. The latter revealed extension of the angioid streaks up to the equator in both eyes. SSOCT showed breaks in the retinal pigment epithelium-Bruch’s membrane complex in the area of peripheral retinal hemorrhages. The patient was extensively worked up for systemic associations, and the only significant finding was a long history of steroid abuse in the past.
Conclusion: Advanced imaging techniques helped to diagnose angioid streaks in this patient. The possible role of steroid abuse in accentuating the presentation of angioid streaks may be explored further.
Angioid Streak, Choroidal Neovascular Membrane, Pseudoxanthoma Elasticum, Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography
1. Marchese A, Rabiolo A, Corbelli E, Carnevali A, Cicinelli MV, Giuffrè C, et al. Ultra-widefield imaging in patients with angioid streaks secondary to pseudoxanthoma elasticum. Ophthalmol Retina 2017;1:137–144.
2. Georgalas I, Papaconstantinou D, Koutsandrea C, Kalantzis G, Karagiannis D, Georgopoulos G, et al. Angioid streaks, clinical course, complications, and current therapeutic management. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2009;5:81.
3. Mansour AM. Systemic associations of angioid streaks. Int Ophthalmol Clin 1991;31:61–68.
4. Clarkson JG, Altman RD. Angioid streaks. Surv Ophthalmol 1982;26:235–246.
5. Marchese A, Parravano M, Rabiolo A, Carnevali A, Corbelli E, Cicinelli MV, et al. Optical coherence tomography analysis of evolution of Bruch’s membrane features in angioid streaks. Eye 2017;31:1600.
6. Corbelli E, Carnevali A, Marchese A, Cicinelli MV, Querques L, Sacconi R, et al. Optical coherence tomography angiography features of angioid streaks. Retina 2018;38:2128–2136.
7. Hanhart J, Greifner H, Rozenman Y. Locating and characterizing angioid streaks with en face optical coherence tomography. Retin Cases Brief Rep 2017;11:203–206.
8. Ellabban AA, Tsujikawa A, Matsumoto A, Ogino K, Hangai M, Ooto S, et al. Macular choroidal thickness and volume in eyes with angioid streaks measured by swept source optical coherence tomography. Am J Ophthalmol 2012;153:1133–1143.
9. Mi L, Zuo C, Zhang X, Liu B, Peng Y, Wen F. Fluorescein leakage within recent subretinal hemorrhage in pathologic myopia: suggestive of CNV? J Ophthalmol 2018;2018.
10. Hattersley AT, Meeran K, Burrin J, Hill P, Shiner R, Ibbertson HK. The effect of long-and short-term corticosteroids on plasma calcitonin and parathyroid hormone levels. Calcif Tissue Int 1994;54:198–202.
11. Samaha AA, Nasser-Eddine W, Shatila E, Haddad JJ, Wazne J, Eid AH. Multi-organ damage induced by anabolic steroid supplements: a case report and literature review. J Med Case Rep 2008;2:340.
12. Bento C, Velho P, Carvalho M. Lots of steroids and vitamins, tons of complications. Hypercalcemia and nephrocalcinosis as important complications of performanceenhancing drugs. Nefrologia 2015;35:598–600.
13. Wicke C, Halliday B, Allen D, Roche NS, Scheuenstuhl H, Spencer MM, et al. Effects of steroids and retinoids on wound healing. Arch Surg 2000;135:1265–1270.