Unilateral Duane Retraction Syndrome Associated with Unilateral Congenital Cataract
Purpose: To report unilateral congenital cataract in a case of ipsilateral Duane retraction syndrome.
Case Report: In this case, we present a six year old girl who was referred with ocular deviation. She had a history of congenital cataract surgery in the left eye at the age of two years. The subject had no associated systemic disease, developmental delay, or positive family history. She was finally diagnosed as having Duane retraction syndrome in the same eye.
Conclusion: Duane retraction syndrome can be associated with congenital cataract due to the matching time of gestational development of the lens to that of ocular and nonocular anomalies associated with Duane syndrome. As both of these disorders are rare, coincidence of both in the same person and the same eye by chance is a very remote possibility.
Congenital Cataract, Duane Retraction Syndrome
1. DeRespinis PA, Caputo AR, Wagner RS, Guo S. Duane’s retraction syndrome. Surv Ophtalmol 1993;38:257–288.
2. Mohan K, Sharma A, Pandav SS. Differences in epidemiological and clinical characteristics between various types of Duane retraction syndrome in 331 patients. J AAPOS 2008;12:576–580.
3. Yi J, Yun J, Li Z-K, Xu C-T, Pan B-R. Epidemiology and molecular genetics of congenital cataracts. Int J Ophtalmol 2011;4:422.
4. Fakhoury O, Aziz A, Matonti F, Benso C, Belahda K, Denis D. [Epidemiologic and etiological characteristics of congenital cataract: study of 59 cases over 10 years]. J Fran Ophtalmol 2015;38:295–300.
5. Wirth M, Russell-Eggitt I, Craig J, Elder J, Mackey D. Aetiology of congenital and paediatric cataract in an Australian population. Brit J Ophtalmol 2002;86:782–786.
6. Kansal S, Miller M. Bilateral Duane syndrome with bilateral congenital glaucoma. J AAPOS 2001;5:325–326.
7. Lueder GT. Anomalous orbital structures resulting in unusual strabismus. Surv Ophtalmol 2002;47:27–35.
8. Ahluwalia BK, Gupta NC, Goel SR, Khurana AK. Study of Duane’s retraction syndrome. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh) 1988;66:728–730.
9. Akbari MR, Manouchehri V, Mirmohammadsadeghi A. Surgical treatment of Duane retraction syndrome. J Curr Ophtalmol 2017;29:248–257.
10. Murillo-Correa CE, Kon-Jara V, Engle EC, Zenteno JC. Clinical features associated with an I126M alpha2- chimaerin mutation in a family with autosomal-dominant Duane retraction syndrome. J AAPOS 2009;13:245– 248.
11. Ro A, Gummeson B, Orton RB, Cadera W. Duane’s retraction syndrome: southwestern Ontario experience. Can J Ophthalmol 1989;24:200–203.
12. Zhang F. Clinical features of 201 cases with Duane’s retraction syndrome. Chin Med J (Engl) 1997;110:789–791.