Ulcerative Squamous Eyelid Papilloma: A Rare Presentation
Purpose: To highlight the importance of histopathological evaluation of a lid mass to prognosticate the disease. We report a case of ulcerative squamous cell papilloma with clinical features suggesting malignancy.
Case report: A 65-year-old man presented with a rapidly enlarging mass in the left upper eyelid, with clinical features suggesting a squamous cell carcinoma. However, a repeat histopathological examination showed no malignant cells. The patient was diagnosed with squamous cell papilloma. He was followed-up for 30 months and no recurrence was observed. No such case has previously been reported in the literature.
Conclusion: This report highlights the need for histopathological examination of all eyelid lesions to enable surgeons to prognosticate the disease.
Carcinoma, Eyelid, Histopathological, Squamous Papilloma
1. Deprez M, Uffer S. Clinicopathological features of eyelid skin tumors. A retrospective study of 5504 cases and review of literature. Am J Dermatopathol 2009;31:256–262.
2. Coroi MC, Roşca E, Muţiu G, Coroi T, Bonta M. Eyelid tumors: histopathological and clinical study performed in County Hospital of Oradea between 2000-2007. Rom J Morphol Embryol 2010;51:111–115.
3. Bagheri A, Tavakoli M, Kanaani A, Zavareh RB, Esfandiari H, Aletaha M, et al. Eyelid masses: a 10-year survey from a tertiary eye hospital in Tehran. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol 2013;20:187–192.
4. Asproudis I, Sotiropoulos G, Gartzios C, Raggos V, Papoudou-Bai A, Ntountas l, et al. Eyelid tumors at the University Eye Clinic of Ioannina, Greece: a 30- year retrospective study. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol 2015;22:230–232.
5. Kersten RC, Ewing-Chow D, Kulwin DR, Gallon M. Accuracy of clinical diagnosis of cutaneous eyelid lesions. Ophthalmology 1997;104:479–484.
6. D’hermies F, Morel X, Bourgade JM, Meyer A, Behar Cohen F, Dighiero P, et al. [Hyperkeratosis papilloma of the eyelid. An anatomic clinical case]. J Fr Ophtalmol 2001;24:558–561.
7. Mathur A, Mehrotra ML, Gupta A. Pigmented squamous cell papilloma–a case report. Indian J Ophthalmol 1987;35:158–159.
8. Rahmi D, Mehmet B, Ceyda B, Sibel O. Management of the large upper eyelid defects with cutler-beard flap. J Ophthalmol 2014;2014:424567.
9. Fischer T, Noever G, Langer M, Kammer E. Experience in upper eyelid reconstruction with the Cutler-Beard technique. Ann Plast Surg 2001;47:338–342.