Glaucoma in Ectropion Uveae Syndrome: a Case Report and Literature Review
Purpose: To report a case of advanced childhood glaucoma secondary to congenital ectropion uveae (CEU).
Case Report: The patient was a seven-year-old boy with unilateral glaucoma secondary to CEU and facial asymmetry, mild unilateral ptosis, and proptosis in the left eye. The intraocular pressure (IOP) was 28 mmHg and cup-to-disc ratio was 0.8 in the left eye. After starting glaucoma medication, IOP decreased to 21 mmHg. In view of the uncontrolled IOP with medication and high cup-to-disc ratio and increased axial length of the left eye, mitomycin-C (MMC)-augmented trabeculectomy was planned. Despite sub-tenon MMC injection and bleb needling, the bleb failed after six months, and we had to perform a shunt procedure to control the IOP.
Conclusion: Although CEU is rare, ophthalmologists should be familiar with this syndrome because of the high frequency of glaucoma and its challenging management during childhood.
Congenital Ectropion Uveae; Facial Hemihypertrophy; Intraocular Pressure; Mitomycin-C; Ptosis; Secondary Glaucoma
1. Ritch R, Forbes M, Hetherington J, Jr, Harrison R, Podos SM. Congenital ectropion uveae with glaucoma. Ophthalmology 1984;91:326–331.
2. Morales J, Chaudhry IA, Bosley TM. Glaucoma and globe enlargement associated with neurofibromatosis type 1. Ophthalmology 2009;116:1725–1730.
3. Edward DP, Morales J, Bouhenni RA, Patil J, Edward PR, Cummings TJ, et al. Congenital ectropion uvea and
mechanisms of glaucoma in neurofibromatosis type 1: new insights. Ophthalmology 2012;119:1485–1194.
4. Skuta GL, Cantor LB, Cioffi GA. Childhood glaucoma. In: Glaucoma 2013-2014. Section 10. San Francisco, CA:
American Academy of ophthalmology (AAO); 2004: 148.
5. Dowling JL, Jr, Albert DM, Nelson LB, Walton DS. Primary glaucoma associated with iridotrabecular dysgenesis and ectropion uveae. Ophthalmology 1985;92:912–921.
6. Wilson ME. Congenital iris ectropion and a new classification for anterior segment dysgenesis. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 1990;27:48–55.
7. Bansal A, Luck J. Primary iris pigment epithelial hyperplasia and glaucoma. Brit J Ophthalmol 2002;86:352–353.
8. Beck AD. Diagnosis and management of pediatric glaucoma. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2001;14:501–512.
9. Salim S, Shields MB. Iridocorneal Endothelial Syndrome and Glaucoma. EyeNet Magazine 2011;15:47–49.
10. Salim S, Walton DS. Goniotomy and trabeculotomy. In: Yanoff M, Duker JS. Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. New York:
Elsevier; 2008: 1241–1245.