The Impact of COVID-19 on Ophthalmology Practice: Changes and Controversies in Endophthalmitis Risk
This is an Editorial and does not have an abstract. Please download the PDF or view the article in HTML.
1. Patel SN, Mahmoudzadeh R, Salabati M, Soares RR, Hinkle J, Hsu J, et al. Bacterial dispersion associated with various patient face mask designs during simulated intravitreal injections. Am J Ophthalmol 2021;223:178–183.
2. Sakamoto T, Terasaki H, Yamashita T, Shiihara H, Funatsu R, Uemura A, et al. Increased incidence of endophthalmitis after vitrectomy relative to face mask wearing during COVID-19 pandemic. Br J Ophthalmol. DOI: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2022-321357
3. Maurin C, He Z, Mentek M, Verhoeven P, Pillet S, Bourlet T, et al. Exploration of the ocular surface infection by SARSCoV-2 and implications for corneal donation: An ex vivo study. PLoS Med 2022;19:e1003922.
4. Das AV, Dave VP. Effect of lockdown and unlock following COVID-19 on the presentation of patients with endophthalmitis at a tertiary eye center over one year. Cureus 2021;13:e19469.
5. Tsatsakis A, Calina D, Falzone L, Petrakis D, Mitrut R, Siokas V, et al. SARS-CoV-2 pathophysiology and its clinical implications: An integrative overview of the pharmacotherapeutic management of COVID-19. Food Chem Toxicol 2020; 146:111769.
6. Karimi S, Nikkhah H, Mohammadzadeh A, Ramezani A, Nouri H, Abtahi S-H. Intravitreal injections and face masks: Endophthalmitis risk before and during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Ophthalmic Vis Res 2023;18:283–288.
7. Fortes BH, Tailor PD, Xu TT, Churchill RA, Starr MR. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of endophthalmitis pre-COVID-19 pandemic versus during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Ophthalmic Vis Res 2023;18:289–296.
8. Romano F, Monteduro D, Airaldi M, Zicarelli F, Parrulli S, Cozzi M, et al. Increased number of submacular hemorrhages as a consequence of coronavirus disease 2019 lockdown. Ophthalmol Retina 2020;4:1209–1210.
9. Patel LG, Peck T, Starr MR, Ammar MJ, Khan MA, Yonekawa Y, et al. Clinical presentation of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment during the COVID-19 pandemic: A historical cohort study. Ophthalmology 2021;128:686–692.
10. Lum F, Li S, Liu L, Li C, Parke DW, Williams GA. The pandemic is not associated with endophthalmitis decrease after anti-vascular endothelial growth factor injections. Ophthalmology 2022;129:719–721.