Ciliary Body Schwannoma: A Case Report and Review of Literature
Purpose: To present a case of intraocular schwannoma arising from the ciliary body with description of histological and immunophenotypic characteristics.
Case Report: A 32-year-old woman who was followed for glaucoma of the left eye and chronic renal failure at the stage of hemodialysis presented with buphthalmos and two weeks of blurry vision of the left eye. A magnetic resonance imaging exam was performed suspecting melanoma. Enucleation was rapidly performed. The histological examination after HE (Hematoxylin and Eiosin) and HEA50 (Hematoxylin and polychromatic solution EA 50) staining showed proliferation of mesenchymal monomorphic fusiform cells with eosinophilic cytoplasm and small oval nuclei which showed a tendency toward palisading. Some parts of the tumor were hypercellular with a fascicular arrangement (Antoni A pattern); other parts were weakly cellular with a myxoid arrangement (Antoni B pattern). Several Verocay bodies and a lot of hemorrhagic suffusions were described. Mitotic figures were very rare. Immunohistochemistry staining showed that tumor cells were positive for PS100 and vimentin.
Conclusion: Although ciliary body schwannoma is extremely rare, it should be considered in the differential diagnosis of intraocular tumors.
Antoni A and B Patterns, Ciliary Body, Local Excision, Schwannoma
1. Daras M, Koppel BS, Heise CW, Mazzeo MJ, Poon TP, Duffy KR. Multiple spinal intradural schwannomas in the absence of von Recklinghausen’s disease. Spine 1993;18:2556–2559.
2. Bergin DJ, Parmley V. Orbital neurilemoma. Arch Ophthalmol 1988;106:414–415.
3. Goto H, Mori H, Shirato S, Usui M. Ciliary body schwannoma successfully treated by local resection. Jpn J Ophthalmol 2006;50:543–546.
4. Smith PA, Damato BE, Ko MK, Lyness RW. Anterior uveal neurilemmoma—A rare neoplasm simulating malignant melanoma. Br J Ophthalmol 1987;71:34–40.
5. Fan JT, Campbell RJ, Robertson DM. A survey of intraocular schwannoma with a case report. Can J Ophthalmol 1995;30:37–41.
6. Pineda R 2nd, Urban RC Jr, Bellows AR, Jakobiec FA. Ciliary body neurilemoma. Unusual clinical findings intimating the diagnosis. Ophthalmology 1995;102:918– 923.
7. Rosso R, Colombo R, Ricevuti G. Neurilemmoma of the ciliary body: Report of a case. Br J Ophthalmol 1983;67:585–587.
8. Thaller VT, Perinti A, Perinti A. Benign schwannoma simulating a ciliary body melanoma. Eye 1998;12:158–159.
9. Küchle M, Holbach L, Schlötzer-Schrehardt U, Naumann GO. Schwannoma of the ciliary body treated by block excision. Br J Ophthalmol 1994;78:397–400.
10. Kim IT, Chang SD. Ciliary body schwannoma. Acta Ophthalmol Scand 1999;77:462–466.
11. Kiratli H, Ustünel S, Balci S, Söylemezoğlu F. Ipsilateral ciliary body schwannoma and ciliary body melanoma in a child. J AAPOS 2010;14:175–177.