Cataract Grading in Pure Senile Cataracts: Pentacam versus LOCS III
Purpose: To determine the diagnostic accuracy of Pentacam Cataract Grading Scale (PCGS) versus the Lens Opacities Classification System (LOCS III) in scaling pure age-related cataract.
Methods: Between April 2016 and May 2017, eyes of 281 patients were evaluated for grading of lens opacity. We used LOCS III and PCGS. Patients with pure age-related cataract with no previous history of eye surgery, eye trauma, or chronic systemic disease between 50 and 95 years of age were included. The examination of the patients was done, using slit lamp and LOCS III grading chart. The second examination was done a week later, using Oculus Pentacam. Next, we graded them using a PNS grading score. Spearman’s rank correlation and a Bland-Altman Plot were implemented for analysis using MedCalc 14. 8.1. P < O.05 was considered as statistically significant.
Results: Three hundred eyes were examined. Of them, 189 patients were male, and patients between 70 to 80 years old were the most common group. The correlation between grades of two methods was 0.47 (P < 0.001). Results of the Bland-Altman plot showed a moderate alignment between the two methods.
Conclusion: The association between LOCSIII and PCGS is not so favorable, however, it is an economical and effective method to assess lens opacities is LOCSIII. PCGS can be used in early diagnosis. For a definitive diagnosis and appropriate therapeutic intervention, an ophthalmological examination is needed.
Cataract, Lens Nucleus Densitometry, Lens Opacities Classification System III, Scheimpflug Lens Density, Pentacam
1. Chang MA, Congdon NG, Baker SK, Bloem MW, Savage H, Sommer A. The surgical management of cataract: Barriers, best practices and outcomes. Int Ophthalmol 2008;28:247–260.
2. Leske MC, Wu SY, Nemesure B, Li X, Hennis A, Connell AM. Incidence and progression of lens opacities in the Barbados Eye Studies. Ophthalmology 2000;107:1267–1273.
3. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Basic and clinical science course, 2016–2017. San Francisco (California): American Academy of Ophthalmology;2016. 34 p.
4. Chylack LT Jr, Wolfe JK, Singer DM, Leske MC, Bullimore MA, Bailey IL, et al. The longitudinal study of Cataract Study Group. The lens opacities classification system III. Arch Ophthalmol 1993;111:831–836.
5. Yang Y, Lv H, Wang Y, Jiang X, Zhang M, Li X. Clinical outcomes following trifocal diffractive intraocular lens implantation for age-related cataract in China. Clin Ophthalmol 2018;12:1317–1324.
6. Wong WL, Li X, Li J, Cheng CY, Lamoureux EL, Wang JJ, et al. Cataract conversion assessment using lens opacity classification system III and Wisconsin cataract grading system. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2013;54:280–287.
7. Puk O, de Angelis MH, Graw J. Lens density tracking in mice by Scheimpflug imaging. Mamm Genome 2013;24:295–302.
8. Pei X, Bao Y, Chen Y, Li X. Correlation of lens density measured using the Pentacam Scheimpflug system with the Lens Opacities Classification System III grading score and visual acuity in age-related nuclear cataract. Br J Ophthalmol 2008;92:1471–1475.
9. Nixon DR. Preoperative cataract grading by Scheimpflug imaging and effect on operative fluidics and phacoemulsification energy. J Cataract Refract Surg 2010;36:242–246.
10. Magalhães FP, Costa EF, Cariello AJ, Rodrigues EB, Hofling-Lima AL. Comparative analysis of the nuclear lens opalescence by the Lens Opacities Classification System III with nuclear density values provided by Oculus Pentacam: A cross-section study using Pentacam Nucleus Staging software. Arq Bras Oftalmol 2011;74:110–113.
11. Chylack LT Jr, Wolfe JK, Friend J, Tung W, Singer DM, Brown NP, et al. Validation of methods for the assessment of cataract progression in the Roche European-American Anticataract Trial (REACT). Ophthalmic Epidemiol 1995;2:59–75.
12. Davison JA, Chylack LT Jr. Clinical application of the lens opacities classification system III in the performance of phacoemulsification. J Cataract Refract Surg 2003;29:138–145.
13. Gupta M, Ram J, Jain A, Sukhija J, Chaudhary M. Correlation of nuclear density using the Lens Opacity Classification System III versus Scheimpflug imaging with phacoemulsification parameters. J Cataract Refract Surg 2013;39:1818–1823.
14. Grewal DS, Brar GS, Grewal SP. Correlation of nuclear cataract lens density using Scheimpflug images with Lens Opacities Classification System III and visual function. Ophthalmology 2009;116:1436–1443.
15. Lim SA, Shin JY, Chung SH. Useful prediction of phacodynamics by Scheimpflug Lens Densitometry in patients over age 70. Semin Ophthalmol 2017;32:482– 487.
16. Al-Mezaine HS, Al-Amro SA, Kangave D, Al-Obeidan S, Al-Jubair KM. Comparison of central corneal thickness measurements using Pentacam and ultrasonic pachymetry in post-LASIK eyes for myopia. Eur J Ophthalmol 2010;20:852–857.
17. Klein BE, Hubbard L, Ferrier NJ, Klein R, Klein DJ, Lee KE, et al. Detecting progression of nuclear sclerosis by using human grading versus semiautomated computer grading. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2005;46:1155–1162.
18. Ortiz D, Alió JL, Ruiz-Colechá J, Oser U. Grading nuclear cataract opacity by densitometry and objective optical analysis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2008;34:1345–1352.
19. Lim DH, Kim TH, Chung ES, Chung TY. Measurement of lens density using Scheimpflug imaging system as a screening test in the field of health examination for agerelated cataract. Br J Ophthalmol 2015;99:184–191.
20. Baradaran-Rafii A, Amiri MA, Mohaghegh S, Zarei- Ghanavati M. Lens densitometry after corneal cross-linking in patients with keratoconus using a Scheimpflug camera. J Ophthalmic Vis Res 2015;10:118–122.
21. Kim JS, Chung SH, Joo CK. Clinical application of a Scheimpflug system for lens density measurements in phacoemulsification. J Cataract Refract Surg 2009;35:1204–1209.
22. Karbassi M, Khu PM, Singer DM, Chylack LT Jr. Evaluation of lens opacities classification system III applied at the slitlamp. Optom Vis Sci 1993;70:923–928.
23. Pan AP, Wang QM, Huang F, Huang JH, Bao FJ, Yu AY. Correlation among lens opacities classification system III grading, visual function index-14, pentacam nucleus staging, and objective scatter index for cataract assessment. Am J Ophthalmol 2015;159:241–247.e2.
24. Lin TJ, Peng CH, Chiou SH, Liu JH, Lin-Chung-Woung, Tsai CY, et al. Severity of lens opacity, age, and correlation of the level of silent information regulator T1 expression in age-related cataract. J Cataract Refract Surg 2011;37:1270–1274.
25. Yu X, Ping X, Zhang X, Cui Y, Yang H, Tang X, et al. The impact of GJA8 SNPs on susceptibility to age-related cataract. Hum Genet 2018;137:897–904.