Optic Neuropathy following Botulinum Toxin Injection into the Medial Rectus Muscle for Diplopia
Purpose: To report a case of optic neuropathy (ON) following botulinum toxin A (BTA) injection into the medial rectus muscle.
Case Report: We describe a 37-year-old man with unilateral ON after a BTA injection into the left medial rectus for treatment of traumatic sixth nerve palsy. Oral prednisolone was prescribed for 14 days. After two weeks, his visual acuity returned to 20/20.
Conclusion: Botulinum toxin-induced neuropathy is a rare and vision-threatening complication of BTA. In patients with recent injection of BTA who present with visual complaints, botulinum toxin-induced neuropathy should be considered.
Botulinum Toxin, Diplopia, Optic Neuropathy
1. Coté TR, Mohan AK, Polder JA, Walton MK, Braun MM. Botulinum toxin type A injections: adverse events reported to the US Food and Drug Administration in therapeutic and cosmetic cases. J Am Acad Dermatol 2005;53:407–415.
2. Lebeda FJ, Dembek ZF, Adler M. Kinetic and reaction pathway analysis in the application of botulinum toxin A for wound healing. J Toxicol 2012;2012:159726.
3. Salehi H, Moussaei M, Kamiab Z, Vakilian A. The effects of botulinum toxin type A injection on pain symptoms, quality of life, and sleep quality of patients with diabetic neuropathy: a randomized double-blind clinical trial. Iran J Neurol 2019;18:99.
4. Korn BS, Seo S-W, Levi L, Granet DB, Kikkawa DO. Optic neuropathy associated with botulinum A toxin in thyroid-related orbitopathy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;23:109–114.
5. Lee DH, Han J, Han S-H, Lee SC, Kim M. Vitreous hemorrhage and Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment that developed after botulinum toxin injection to the extraocular muscle: case report. BMC Ophthalmol 2017;17:249.
6. Lam CP, Chan J, Lau WW, Yam JC. Botulinum toxin in strabismus. Strabismus: Springer; 2019. 147–157 p.
7. Chun BY, Kim SY. Acute visual loss after botulinum toxin A injection in the masseter muscle. Int Ophthalmol 2018;38:1339–1342.
8. Chen Y-H, Tsai Y-J, Chao A-N, Huang Y-S, Kao LY. Visual field defect after facial rejuvenation with botulinum toxin type A and polyacrylamide hydrogel injection. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010;126:249e–250e.
9. Tsai J-C. Acute angle closure following periorbital botulinum toxin injection in a patient with retinitis pigmentosa. Taiwan J Ophthalmol 2017;7:104.
10. Warner N, Eggenberger E. Traumatic optic neuropathy: a review of the current literature. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2010;21:459–462.
11. Ahn HB, Hur MC, Lee JW. Analysis of the peripapillary retinal nerve fibre layer thickness using optical coherence tomography in traumatic optic neuropathy. Neuro- Ophthalmol 2012;36:42–47.
12. Holmes JM, Leske DA, Christiansen SP. Initial treatment outcomes in chronic sixth nerve palsy. JJ AAPOS 2001;5:370–376.
13. Chen Y-H, Sun MH, Hsueh P-Y, Kao LY. Botulinum injection for the treatment of acute esotropia resulting from complete acute abducens nerve palsy. Taiwan J Ophthalmol 2012;2:140–143.
14. Kutluk S, Akar S, Topçu M, Kural G. Effect of botulinum toxin injections into rabbit eye. Strabismus 1999;7:221–226.
15. Berliocchi L, Fava E, Leist M, Horvat V, Dinsdale D, Read D, et al. Botulinum neurotoxin C initiates two different programs for neurite degeneration and neuronal apoptosis. J Cell Biol 2005;168:607–618.