Pattern and Visual Prognostic Factors of Behcet’s Uveitis in Northwest Iran
Purpose: To investigate the pattern of ocular involvement in Behcet’s disease (BD) with predictors of patients’ final state of vision.
Methods: This historical cohort encompassed the clinical records of 200 patients diagnosed according to the International Criteria for BD (ICBD), over a period of 17 years between 2004 and 2021.
Results: The prevalence of Behcet’s uveitis (BU) was more common in females and patients in the fourth decade of life. Ninety-five patients (47.5%) had evidence of ocular involvement in the initial ophthalmologic evaluation, and 171 patients (85.5%) manifested evidence of BU during the follow-up visits of which bilateral non-granulomatous panuveitis was the most common anatomical pattern of involvement (32.9%) followed by posterior (27.6%), anterior (26.5%), and intermediate (13.8%) uveitis. The prevalent accompanying signs were oral aphthous (67%), skin lesions (29%), and genital ulcers (19.5%). Cystoid macular edema (CME) was the most frequent ocular complication (62%), followed by cataract (57.5%) and epiretinal membranes (ERM) (36.5%). Univariate analysis showed the following determinants: male gender, younger age at onset, panuveitis, posterior uveitis, retinal vasculitis, and longer duration of uveitis as poorer visual prognostic factors of the disease. Multivariate analysis demonstrated a higher chance of poor visual prognosis of BD in patients with panuveitis, posterior uveitis, retinal vasculitis, and longer duration of uveitis.
Conclusion: This cohort study demonstrated an overview on epidemiological patterns of BU along with the visual prognostic factors in Iranian patients.
Behcet’s Disease, Behcet’s Syndrome, Behcet’s Uveitis, Iran, Prognosis, Uveitis
1. Yazici H, Seyahi E, Hatemi G, Yazici Y. Behçet syndrome: a contemporary view. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2018;14:107.
2. Çakar Özdal P. Behçet’s uveitis: current diagnostic and therapeutic approach. Turk J Ophthalmol 2020;50:169– 182.
3. Khairallah M, Accorinti M, Muccioli C, Kahloun R, Kempen JH. Epidemiology of Behçet disease. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2012;20:324–335.
4. Horie Y, Meguro A, Ohta T, Lee EB, Namba K, Mizuuchi K, et al. HLA-B51 carriers are susceptible to ocular symptoms of Behçet disease and the association between the two becomes stronger towards the east along the silk road: a literature survey. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2017;25:37–40.
5. Meguro A, Inoko H, Ota M, Katsuyama Y, Oka A, Okada E, et al. Genetics of Behçet disease inside and outside the MHC. Ann Rheum Dis 2010;69:747–754.
6. Tugal-Tutkun I, Onal S, Stanford M, Akman M, Twisk JWR, Boers M, et al. An algorithm for the diagnosis of Behçet disease uveitis in adults. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2020;10:1–10.
7. Bagheri M, Ahoor MH, Jafari A, Hashemi HS, Mohammadkhani M. Pattern of uveitis in Iran: a systematic review. J Ophthalmic Vis Res 2021;16:93–102.
8. Ghavidel LA, Mousavi F, Bagheri M, Asghari S. Clinical course of uveitis in children in a tertiary ophthalmology center in northwest Iran. Crescent J Med Biol Sci 2017;4:200–204.
9. Davatchi F, Assaad-Khalil S, Calamia K, Crook J, Sadeghi- Abdollahi B, Schirmer M, et al. International team for the revision of the international criteria for Behçet’s disease (ITR-ICBD). The International Criteria for Behçet’s Disease (ICBD): a collaborative study of 27 countries on the sensitivity and specificity of the new criteria. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2014;28:338–347.
10. Standardization of Uveitis Nomenclature Working Group. Standardization of uveitis nomenclature for reporting clinical data. Results of the First International Workshop. Am J Ophthalmol 2005;140:509–516.
11. Taylor SR, Singh J, Menezo V, Wakefield D, McCluskey P, Lightman S. Behçet disease: visual prognosis and factors influencing the development of visual loss. Am J Ophthalmol 2011;152:1059–1066.
12. Al Akrash LS, Al Semari MA, Al Harithy R. Ocular manifestations of dermatological diseases part I: infectious and inflammatory disorders. Int J Dermatol 2021;60:5–11.
13. Hatemi G, Seyahi E, Fresko I, Talarico R, Hamuryudan V. One year in review 2018: Behçet’s syndrome. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2018;36:13–27.
14. Amer R, Alsughayyar W, Almeida D. Pattern and causes of visual loss in Behçet’s uveitis: short-term and longterm outcomes. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2017;255:1423–1432.
15. Sáenz-Francés F, Elías-de-Tejada M, Martinez-De-La- Casa J, Calvo-González C, Fernández-Vidal A, Méndez- Hernández C, et al. Ocular inflammatory signs observed in a cohort of Spanish patients with Behçet disease and ocular inflammation. Eur J Ophthalmol 2008;18:563–566.
16. Evereklioglu C. Current concepts in the etiology and treatment of Behçet disease. Surv Ophthalmol 2005;50:297–350.
17. Accorinti M, Pesci FR, Pirraglia MP, Abicca I, Pivetti- Pezzi P. Ocular Behçet’s disease: changing patterns over time, complications and long-term visual prognosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm 2017;25:29–36.
18. Sota J, Cantarini L, Vitale A, Sgheri A, Gentileschi S, Caggiano V, et al. Long-term outcomes of Behçet’s syndrome-related uveitis: a monocentric italian experience. Mediators Inflamm 2020;15:6872402.
19. Celiker H, Kazokoglu H, Direskeneli H. Factors affecting relapse and remission in Behçet’s uveitis treated with interferon Alpha2a. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 2019;35:58– 65.