Treatment of Choroidal Metastasis from Epidermal Growth Factor Mutant Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with First-line Osimertinib Therapy
Purpose: To illustrate the regression of a metastatic lesion through ophthalmic imaging and correlating findings with standard chest imaging and treatment with osimertinib, an oral chemotherapy agent specific to Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor + Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (EGFR+ NSCLC).
Case Report: A 63-year-old Asian male presented to ophthalmology with a complaint of left blurry vision. Initial ophthalmic exam revealed a choroidal lesion and imaging results highlighted a spiculated lung mass with brain and bony metastases. Osimertinib was chosen for its specificity and ability to cross the blood–brain barrier. Follow-up ophthalmic and radiographic imaging were repeated over the course of treatment.
Conclusion: After the initiation of osimertinib, ophthalmic and computed tomography imaging highlighted the regression of the ocular metastatic disease and primary malignancy, respectively. Osimertinib is an effective first-line treatment of EGFR+ NSCLC and corresponding metastatic sites. Additionally, ophthalmic imaging can be used to monitor general response to chemotherapy agents when ocular metastasis is identified.
Carcinoma, Choroidal Neoplasm, Multimodal Imaging, Neoplasm Metastasis, Non-small Cell Lung, Osimertinib
1. Shields CL, Shields JA, Gross NE, Schwartz GP, Lally SE. Survey of 520 eyes with uveal metastases. Ophthalmology 1997;104:1265–1276.
2. Yver A. Osimertinib (AZD9291)-a science-driven, collaborative approach to rapid drug design and development. Ann Oncol 2016;27:1165– 1170.
3. Gao Z, Wang W, Gu A, Lu J, Huang A, Xiong L, et al. Analysis of the clinical effect of osimertinib on 90 cases with advanced lung adenocarcinoma. Transl Lung Cancer Res 2020;9:1464–1471.
4. Wang N, Zhang Y, Mi Y, Deng H, Chen G, Tang Z, et al. Osimertinib for EGFR-mutant lung cancer with central nervous system metastases: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Ann Palliat Med 2020;9:80.
5. Milovanovic I, Stjepanovic M, Mitrovic D. Distribution patterns of the metastases of the lung carcinoma in relation to histological type of the primary tumor: an autopsy study. Ann Thorac Med 2017;12:191–198.
6. Bouchez C, Pluvy J, Soussi G, Nguenang M, Brosseau S, Tourne M, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor-mutant non-small cell lung Cancer and Choroidal metastases: long-term outcome and response to epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors. BMC Cancer 2020;20:1186.
7. Shields CL, Acaba-Berrocal LA, Selzer EB, Mayro EL, Newman JH, Malik K, et al. Uveal metastasis-based on patient age in 1,111 patients. Retina 2018;40:1.
8. Konstantinidis L, Rospond-Kubiak I, Zeolite I, Heimann H, Groenewald C, Coupland SE, et al. Management of patients with uveal metastases at the Liverpool Ocular Oncology Centre. Br J Ophthalmol 2014;98:92–98.
9. Ramalingam SS, Vansteenkiste J, Planchard D, Cho BC, Gray JE, Ohe Y, et al. Overall survival with osimertinib in untreated, EGFR-mutated advanced NSCLC. N Engl J Med 2020;382:41–50.
10. Jardel P, Sauerwein W, Olivier T, Bensoussan E, Maschi C, Lanza F, et al. Management of choroidal metastases. Cancer Treat Rev 2014;40:1119–1128.
11. Shah SU, Mashayekhi A, Shields CL, Walia HS, Hubbard GB 3rd, Zhang J, et al. Uveal metastasis from lung cancer: Clinical features, treatment, and outcome in 194 patients. Ophthalmology 2014;121:352–357.
12. Ramos MS, Echegaray JJ, Kuhn-Asif S, Wilkinson A, Yuan A, Singh AD, et al. Animal models of radiation retinopathy – From teletherapy to brachytherapy. Exp Eye Res 2019;181:240–251.
13. Mariachiara M, Celeste R, Federico F, Nicole B, Antonio C. Choroidal metastasis from non-small-cell lung cancer responsive to Osimertinib: a case report: efficacy of a third-generation epidermal growth factor tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Int Ophthalmol 2018;38:2669–2675.
14. Keshwani K, Roelofs KA, Hay G, Lewis R, Plowman N. Treating choroidal metastases and improving vision with osimertinib in EGFR T790M-mutated lung adenocarcinoma: a case report and review of the literature. Ocul Oncol Pathol 2021;7:26–30.
15. Dall’Olio FG, Ruatta C, Melotti B, Sperandi F, Ciardella AP, Ardizzoni A. Response to osimertinib in choroidal metastases from EGFRmt T790M-positive non-small cell lung adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Oncol 2017;12:e165–e167.